Monday, March 5, 2012

Book Review: Hystera

Hystera by Leora Skolkin-Smith is one of those novels that gets you in the first few sentences; you know you are in for something completely unique and interesting in only a few seconds.

Hystera takes readers on the journey of Lilly Weill’s stay in a mental hospital in the 1970s. This book reminded me so much of one of my favorite narratives of mental illness, I Never Promised You a Rose Garden, specifically because you really believe you are hearing the thoughts of someone in the midst of a breakdown. Lilly’s inner turmoil is obvious, but at the same time, as a reader, you find yourself constantly wondering what is going on in her head. The juxtaposition of the two continues throughout the book – she seems to make her thoughts so transparent, and yet she is impossible to sort out. And isn’t that how it would likely be to be inside the head of someone suffering from a mental illness?

This book will likely leave you with a furrowed brow, but in a good way. It’s a book that makes you think, but it’s not trying too hard. The ideas and characters and plot is not confusing on purpose, as some novels seem to be – the book is simply one that makes you think and makes you eager to see how things end up for Lilly. A great and interesting read for sure, and one I highly recommend.  

If you want to hear what other TLC tour hosts had to say about this book, click HERE for the schedule of reviews. If you want to check out Leora Skolkin-Smith’s website or facebook pages, click HERE or HERE.

I was given a free copy of Hystera, but was not compensated for this review. Everything in this review is my personal opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Veronica, I can't express how deeply moved I am by your understanding and patience with my novel, HYSTERA. It is so rewarding to hear what you say about it! I know it's a difficult book and so am doubly honored by your review.
    Just wanted to say thank you from a very grateful author.
    Best,
    Leora Skolkin-Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a book that grabs from page one - glad to see that this is one of those rare books!

    Thanks for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave me a comment, an angel earns its wings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...