Monday, September 12, 2011

Making an Effort Monday: Mexicali Casserole

In an effort to make more of the things I love -- good food, pretty things, and organized spaces -- I bring you Making An Effort Monday!  It's not a huge effort, but it's an effort nonetheless!

I've got a good recipe for you folks today. I decided to try this recipe based on the picture and name alone, and thankfully, I wasn't disappointed.

I was a little nervous at the lack of ingredients once I perused the recipe (as I was about to make it. ... heh.), so I added some spices to give it a little more zing, but other than that, the few simple ingredients actually did a fantastic job of making a meal. As usual, I also substituted ground turkey for ground beef, and made a few other changes to the original recipe. Without further ado, I give you:


Mexicali Casserole

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground turkey
(Optional) Spices for meat: roughly 1/2 Tablespoon of chili powder; 1/4 teaspoon cumin, cilantro, and oregano; and generous dashes of black pepper, cayenne pepper, and salt
1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes with green chiles
1 1/2 cups whole kernel corn
1/2 cup Mexican-blend grated cheese
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg, beaten
2/3 cups milk
2 Tablespoons cooking oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Add cumin, chili powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, salt, cilantro, and oregano to the ground turkey (optional) and brown the turkey. Stir in undrained tomatoes and corn; heat through. Transfer to greased 2-quart baking dish.
2.  In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir in beaten egg, milk, and oil. Spread evenly over meat/tomato/corn mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
3.  Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until cornbread topping is set. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
Delish!

I added fresh tomato, fresh jalapeno, and sour cream to mine, but that's just because I love toppings and love having the problem of having too many fresh tomatoes in the house (ahhh ... summer).  Jeremy said it is delicious without the toppings and a "nice combination of spicy and sweet." Well said, husband.

Please do enjoy your Monday, and enjoy the dish if you make it yourself. If you made any efforts this week, feel free to brag about them in the comments! (Hardly anyone ever does this, and it would make my bitter heart swell three sizes if you did. Consider it?)

3 comments:

  1. Monday morning: sorted all the canning in the basement and labeled boxes, picked pears, vacced the pool, washed and put away the tomatoes, pears and pear jam I made over the weekend, picked tomatoes, zucchini and broccolli. time for a nap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made a loaf of gluten-free bread, a batch of gluten-free cookies, a batch of GF muffins/biscuits/rolls (don't know what they are exactly, but they were delish) and dinner. I ate most of the tomatoes in the garden. And I clean my living room, my parents living room and changed all the kitty litters. Now, do you have an x-ray machine like in the Grinch with Jim carrey so I can see your bitter heart grow? Cause that would be cool.

    ReplyDelete

Every time you leave me a comment, an angel earns its wings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...